NPF Våttkort Foundation Course
Have you always wanted to learn how to confidently paddle a sea-kayak? Grab the goat by the horns and book a two-day foundation course (Grunnkurs i Havkajakk) with us here in Lysaker, near Oslo! This is not only a course; it is also a two-day kayaking adventure where you have the option to camp overnight on an island in Oslo Fjord, telling tales around a camp fire and making new friends!
This 16hr sea kayaking course is a step above our 3hr Introduction Course (Introkurs Hav). After completing this course, you will gain the know-how and confidence to venture out on your own multi-day adventures.
– Price includes: instruction, 100NOK våttkort and 300NOK gear hire.
This course lasts for 16 hours over 2 days. Option of 2 x 8 hour days or a weekend course including overnight camping.
Fitness requirement: Medium
Age requirements: 14yrs +
– All kayaking equipment is included
Beginner; no experience needed.
For our weekend course, there is the option to stay over on an island on Saturday night. We will most likely be camping on the island of Borøya. You need to bring your own tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag. See packing list.
Saturday - Course Plan
Meeting point is by our kayak container at the Sollerudstranda beach at Lysaker at 10:00. Our container is located in a boat harbour by the beach. If you can’t find your way there, you can go to the beach and our instructor will find you there. If you’re arriving by car you can park here. There are toilets at Lysaker.
When all participants have arrived we will hold a briefing detailing all the necessary information about the course. Afterwards, you will get your own kayak and equipment. Before heading out on the water we go through a safety briefing, learn about basic kayak equipment and how to pack your kayak properly. By 12:00 we should be on the water.
Paddle and seamanship training:
- Edging and boat control
- Basic paddle strokes
- How to paddle with as a group
- Basic traffic rules on the water
- How to paddle in the wind and in small swell
13:00-13:45: Lunch break and a chance to use the restroom.
After the break, we will start paddling towards the island we have chosen to camp on. Once we arrive we start with rescue training:
- Buddy rescues
The day ends between 16:00 and 18:00, depending on the weather, the energy level of the group, as well as other factors. After the course has ended we’ll put away all kayaks and equipment. We will go through everything that you have learnt and what to expect on day two.
- Camp cooking techniques
- Setting up a tent
- How to tell a tale around the campfire
Sunday - Course Plan
We start at 10:00. The days lesson is started by going over the day plan so everyone is on board. You guys will be running the trip today; the instructor is just there for safety and tips. The point of the Grunnkurs Hav course is to get you to a level where you’re able to go on your own paddling adventures hence why it is necessary for you to experience guiding yourselves.
10:30 – After a quick yoga session we are heading out onto the water. You’ll get some time to warm up and repeat the paddle techniques you learnt yesterday. After all, practice does make perfect! Afterwards, we’ll start the paddle tour – of your choosing!
13:00-13:30 – Lunch and a toilet break.
16:00-18:00. Arrive back at Sollerudstranda where we started. Put away all kayaks and equipment, have a debrief and then you will receive your highly anticipated våttkort! – Good work and hope to catch you on the water.
- Warm clothes to suit weather conditions
- Thermal underwear and socks to wear underneath your wetsuit and in kayak shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a water bottle
- Bring enough food and water for for two days
- Sleeping bag and sleeping mat
- Tent, if possible (we have one tent we can lend and the lavvo is very large so all kit can be stored here)
- Dry bags is you have them (we have some we can lend)
- Earplugs & eye mask if you are a light sleeper
- Snacks to eat during course hours
- Towel and swimwear
- Outdoor cooking equipment (if you want warm food)
- Rubbish bag
- Our certified, professional instructors provide an in-depth focus on:
- sea kayak paddling techniques,
- safety on the water,
- rescue drills for yourself and others,
- plus additional focus on how to pack a kayak, campcraft and cooking.
- You will receive your NPF Våttkort – Level 1 and 2 – a nationally recognised qualification allowing you to rent kayaks individually or with friends.
The freedom of the ocean awaits you!